We all have someone in our lives who has been affected by disease; some suffer years, some are taken from us way too soon. Many of these diseases have fundraising walks, runs and special events. There are awareness ribbons, shirts and other items used to get the word out.
I admit it, at times I have thought its too much. BUT then I was affected. NOW I get it! I see why the walks and ribbons are important. These events serve several purposes:
- raise awareness of the disease, and educate people.
- raise funds to fight the disease through research of the cause and possible cure, and programs to help families who are dealing with the devastating effects of the disease.
- give family members and friends something to DO, to help them deal with their pain!
|No, I didnt get a tattoo, my daughter Alycia did!|
Last year I found out about the Walk to End Alzheimer's which was happening along the boardwalk on Virginia Beach, just six blocks from my place! Problem was I found out about it way too late to raise any real funds. With only a few days left I came up with the idea to make jewelry to hand out to the walkers to thank them for their fundraising efforts. You can read all about it CLICK here.
Well the 2013 Walk is in October and THIS time I want to be prepared. I have set a goal of creating atleast 100 pairs of earrings and keychains to pass out to walkers. To get this started I put the word out that I would love to swap for PURPLE beads. WELL! Let me just tell you - I have received an avalanche of purple beads!
First I received wonderful swap packages from Facebook friends and Bead Swap-USA pals *
* Lennis Carrier, Sondra Jackson, Nancy Rocknich, Lindsay Starr, Sherri Stokey, Jennifer Reno , Nicole Weltch and Lisa Lodge.
AND then last week I received a HUMONGOUS box packed with all kinds of really cool purple beads and metal findings from lovely
** Bead Faeries: Heidi Kingman, Robin Reed, Jana Perez Stribel, Kristen Stevens, Sandra Wollberg, Alicia Marinache, Christine Smith, Ali McCarthy, Chief Faerie Sandra McGriff and her winged helpers Rita Aviles and Marlene Cupo (aka Sis).
Now with all this purple goodness in the house I have plenty enough to surpass my goal of 100 BUT I have to get busy creating. TIME IS TICKING AWAY...
I think I need some help! Are you INTERESTED? I was thinking I could send out a small mix of beads and findings, enough for one pair of earrings. When I get them back I'd show them off on my blog and facebook page. To make sure you get credit for your design I'd ask you to include your biz card or other contact info when you send the jewelry back to me.
Let me know if you're game, leave a comment below and email your address to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you'd like to make a monetary donation to support me in my walk please visit Shelley's WALK TO END ALZHEIMER's page . Right now I am #5 in the TOP Fundraisers! (well things are just getting started but its still encouraging!)
Other plans and happenings...
- I have been purchasing purple themed pieces from my artists friends to include in a future auction. If you have any you'd like to show me, please send me a link.
- I reached out to a local group I found on Facebook, YAAA! Hampton Roads - Young Adults Alheimer's Awareness. They are part of the Alzheimer's Association's Southeastern Virginia Chapter. I was honored to be able to donate a few of my TORI SOPHIA Designs to a silent auction they are holding this weekend, at their 3rd Annual Black Tie Bowling fundraiser.
- Hoping to work with them in holding a one big ole jewelry-making event!
So stay tuned. If you would like to be kept up-to-date on my fundraising projects please add your address in the box on my sidebar titled "Follow me by E-mail".